Skip to content

GeoMetrick Enterprises: Twenty Years in the Making

March 4, 2016

Today is the twentieth anniversary of GeoMetrick Enterprises.

Over those years, some things have changed, others stayed the same, but running a business and getting the work done continues to be a learning experience, no matter how long I’ve done it. Having recently been speaking with others who are doing the same, I know we all have plenty of hurdles to overcome on a daily basis and my wish is that all of you will be able to also see your twentieth anniversary take place, as well.

Meanwhile, thank you to all who have been and are my customers, those customers yet to come, and all the people who have stopped to chat with me, along the way. You’ve all become part of the history of my company.

Many years ago, it was common to meet people who worked at the same company 20, 30 or 40 years up to retirement. I didn’t think I’d be one of them. Now that I’ve hit 20, I’m feeling some confidence that I actually do have a job to take me to that 30 or 40 year mark so that I can retire. But with a small business, it’s sometimes been hard to imagine.

Gloria Metrick
GeoMetrick Enterprises

Advertisements
7 Comments leave one →
  1. Sam Klaidman permalink
    March 4, 2016 8:39 am

Congratulations and hope you have another 20 years (if that’s what you want)

2. Howard Eichenwald permalink
    March 4, 2016 9:20 am

Your story reminds me of my start. On December 31, 1979 my employer thought the world was coming to an end. Interest rates for home mortgages had increased up to the high teens, and homes were not selling. Of course the world did not end, and rates did go down in a month or two, but the damage was done when the employer cut half of the staff to stay in business. On January 2nd, 1980 I became an independent contractor and have continued on to this day. There were several times I thought it is not worth the extra effort to be self employed, providing my own benefits, insurance, training etc., but I continued onward. And now more than 35 years later, I;m still keeping the biz open, doing some support for an old client, collecting my social security and occasionally babysitting grandchildren. Somehow everything worked out for the best.

3. Nancy Ridenhour permalink
    March 4, 2016 10:31 am

Congratulations on your 20 Years! It says a lot about your self-discipline and motivation.

4. March 4, 2016 10:41 am

Congratulations! Twenty years is quite an accomplishment these days. I am glad to have known you for about 15 of those years.

5. Lynn Schwartz permalink
    March 4, 2016 12:03 pm

Congratulations Gloria! I enjoy your straight forward, logical writings. I hope you have another successful 20 years (whether you are working or not!)

6. March 4, 2016 12:51 pm

Time flies when you are having fun.

7. Megan Gregg permalink
    March 4, 2016 10:24 pm

Congratulations on twenty years, what a great accomplishment! Hope you have many more great years in your future.