Skip to content

Need Some Help

January 31, 2017

In my previous post, It’s Time to Say Goodbye, I mentioned that I was possibly selling the trademark and blog. As it happens, there are people interested but I have struggled to find a way to price it in an appropriate manner. While there are other trademarks I’ve found for sale, they’re not in the same industry, packaged with something besides a blog, and just aren’t quite a good comparison.

If anyone out there has suggestions, I would be excited to hear them. I’m trying to take my time with the process but I don’t want too much time to go by that the interested parties lose interest, either, so any suggestions are welcome.

Gloria Metrick
GeoMetrick Enterprises

Advertisements
6 Comments leave one →
  1. johnwcunningham permalink
    January 31, 2017 7:20 pm

Hi Gloria –

I saw a few presentations on this – you can start by looking at the web traffic and creating a present value calculation for future traffic – like a discounted cash flow model – which is the essential tool of valuation. you can value the traffic by looking at what it would cost through paid advertising to get the same traffic.

https://www.evernote.com/l/ABFDDwyv0A5IYLewqJV2E2t-QksGvZRrbrA http://www.domainsherpa.com/domain-name-valuation-tools/

That could at least set the floor for the value. The trademark may have value above the domain, but it may just be the 2 together..

/John

John Cunningham 734-255-3254

On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 6:02 PM, Out on a LIMS®: The Blog For People Who Risk Life and LIMS™

2. January 31, 2017 7:46 pm

I’m just a small tech guy from a company in Oregon. Our LIMS system was a nightmare so I found your blog seeking help with it. You’ve been a huge help, I wish you luck in future endeavors.

3. February 1, 2017 8:43 am

Put it up on EBAY and let people know it is there.

4. Simon permalink
    February 1, 2017 1:22 pm

Perhaps you could invite bids and shortlist from there? Ultimately there is a price the market is prepared to pay at that time; sure it might go up but it might also evapourate.

I do recall that a few years back a friend of mine was in the midst of selling a media business he had built up over a dozen years.

He had a serious trade buyer but tried to hold out for more, they walked away and a few years down the line the market had changed so he had to close the business down himself.

5. Chad Desai permalink
    February 1, 2017 5:36 pm

Well its very hard to price it since the information you have shared so far is priceless!
    I hope this article might help, http://www.inta.org/TrademarkBasics/FactSheets/Pages/AssignmentsLicensesValuationFactSheet.aspx
    Have you considered publishing these blogs as a book?

6. February 1, 2017 6:58 pm

Thanks, all, for the great advice and tips.

As for how priceless my information is, yes, I do agree! 🙂 However, I’d been trying out this particular web-site to see if I could find a similar situation and ran across the fact that the Barrelhead Root Beer trademark is for sale with some logos but not the recipe. If you’re interested in considering buying it, here’s the link, but I’m too lazy to go into the crazy-competitive soft drink business, myself:

So, will I get $2,000,000 for mine? I don’t know, but notice that Barrelhead is still sitting around at that price, so I doubt it. 😉 If you’re a potential buyer, just be award that I’m kidding about being anywhere close to that price.